Monday, October 08, 2012

28 Weeks

Baby is 28 Weeks! He seems less and less like my "baby" and more and more like my "little boy". I know it's partly my fault for not dressing him in onesies and putting more shirts and pants on him, but they're just so darn cute! 

Jackson had his 6 Month Well Child appt this week. I'm not in love with our new pediatric office, but I really liked our old one. It doesn't help that we got stuck with this new office because they're the only ones in town who take our new insurance. I guess I might as well get used to it though. Once we move to our installations we'll have to go to whoever is the on-post pediatrician. Anyways, Jack is 26.5 inches tall (46%), 18.2 lbs. (56%), and has a head circumference of 17.25 inches (50%). Still a pretty average baby, which I love. I don't want him to be smaller than average, but I definitely want him to be small enough for me to easily snuggle still. 


He got his 6 month shots plus the first round of flu shot. Of course, he was not happy with it. I think he may have an allergy to tylenol (acetaminophen), so we tried him on motrin (ibuprofen). He didn't throw up with that so we'll keep it for his pain reliever/ fever reducer. It's nice living with a Dr. (my dad) so I can ask all my silly new-mom questions. Jack was a little fussy from his shots for the first day, but not as bad as his 4 month shots. Right after his shots I nursed him and he fell straight asleep. Later that evening he pulled his bandaids off. So he was fine. That night he woke up crying  a couple times, but I was able to rock him back to sleep.

Friday our moving truck arrived. It was SO nice to unpack the rest of our clothes and things. Definitely helps to keep Jack occupied! I discovered that he has many more clothes for this age than I expected! I put away his 3-6 month clothes for the most part (except a few of my favorites) so we could get good use out of his 6-12 month clothes. Six month clothes are still a little big or him, but we'll wear them anyways! He has enjoyed watching me unpack. He also loved playing inside one of the moving boxes. Baby's first fort!


It's a bit chillier in Grand Rapids than in Lynchburg. Baby got ready for church and wore his comfy Baby Gap coat! I found him an adorable puffer coat for when it snows, but this will do for the chillier days.


We've been practicing standing. He was able to stand on his own leaned against the ball. He doesn't pull himself up yet on tables etc. I don't want him to grow up too quickly, but I do want him to learn and develop his muscles.


There is seriously nothing better than a snuggly, sleepy baby. Now that we have our things I'm trying to get him into a bed time routine. I'm also trying to get him to sleep in his crib on his own. Last night he slept in his crib for part of the night. After I fed him I think I was too sleepy to put him back in his crib. We're getting there though. I tried to put him down and leave him there to cry himself to sleep... yeah, that didn't work for him or me! I let him cry for about 20 minutes then had to go get him. As soon as I picked him up he stopped crying and 10 minutes later he was fast asleep on me. Maybe I'll let him fall asleep on me (like he's used to) and then transfer him to his crib this week and then next week we'll try him falling asleep in there. His crib is in my room so he'll still be sleeping with me technically. We'll take it as it comes.


This week he got up on his hands and knees! He's not crawling yet, but he's thinking about it. It's hard to see in this picture, but he's definitely on his knees and not just on his belly like usual. Getting stronger!


Baby has been napping in his crib just fine. I wonder why he doesn't mind napping in his crib but he doesn't care to sleep at night there? He takes about 2-3 naps per day... but they only last 20-30 minutes. He sleeps about 10 hours at night (with 1-2 feedings during that time) so I'm not sure why he doesn't take longer naps. He seems to do just fine with that sleeping schedule, however. I don't mind him taking short naps, but hope this doesn't mean when he goes to 1 nap a day he'll still have it be so short!


Feedings continue to be short and sweet. He is such an efficient little eater. He only has to nurse for 5-10 minutes to be full. I know he's draining me though so he should be getting enough to eat. He generally nurses about 4 minutes at a time and he's been eating about every 3-4 hours. He decided he doesn't like solid foods. I keep trying the with him, but if he begins to spit it all out and not eat any of it then I stop and try again the next day. If he were just being messy that would be one thing, but he gets a disgusted look on his face and cries whenever I give him some cereal. I'll finish off this box and then maybe just go straight to veggies. We'll see how he does. If he wants to still just nurse for awhile that's fine with me, but I want to give him the opportunity to try new foods.


Here's his weekly picture. This outfit is a 3-6 month one and it fits everywhere except him legs. It's just a little short. I'll just throw a blanket on him if we go somewhere to keep his legs warm. The outfit is just too cute for him not to wear ever! It was too warm in VA for it but it's the perfect weather here. It has a little hood with a tie on the top so it sticks up. So cute! 

Some other things from this week: He's very into shadows right now. He sees them on the floor and tries to get them. It's so funny to see him react when I purposefully make a shadow on the ground then move! He has become more strong willed. If he does not want a toy I am offering him he will take it them throw it! He's not doing this to be funny. He throws it then wants a different toy. I don't mind him having an opinion though. He's not throwing everything, just the toys he doesn't want to play with if I don't give him a choice. 

We miss Daddy and cannot wait to see him again!