Friday, June 01, 2012

Jonathan

A new label for posts: My Walk. I have learned over the years the true meaning of Scripture being alive. This seems a strange statement, how can a book- printed words be alive? I have read the Bible numerous times in my lifetime. I have read it from cover to cover, jumped around, done in depth studies on particular books, and of course, studied as part of my education as I attended Christian schools from Pre-school through my Master's degree. You would think that I would have memorized the basic jist of the entire book by now, I mean, I can practically quote you the entire Chronicles of Narnia or Harry Potter series (those being the books I have read countless times). But this is not so. I will read a passage I must have read hundreds of times previously and see a verse that has never caught my eye before. I have an A-HA moment and understand the application of this verse in my life. How have I never noticed this gem of truth and wisdom before? Because I may not have needed to hear it before. Because God knows my heart and when I need encourage, when I need discipline, when I need hope. God's Word is alive, but not changing. He speaks to us through His Word to continually teach us. How amazing is that?

So as I discover new truths that speak particularly to me, I will add them to the "My Walk" section. There may be posts every day one week and then not for another month after that. Sometimes a passage just screams at you, ya know? Those will make up these posts. Or maybe I just have a new thought to share. Maybe one of those unknowable questions has prompted a theory in my mind (I'll probably share my theory on predestination, which has caused many heated disagreements between my husband and I).

Today: Jonathan.

1 Samuel 18:1-5

As soon as he had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. And Saul took him that day and would not let him return to his father's house. Then Jonathan made a covenant with David, because he loved him as his own soul. And Jonathan stripped humself of the robe that was on him and gave it to David, and his armor, and even his sword and his bow and his belt. And David went out and was successful wherever Saul sent him, so that Saul set him over the men of war. And this was good in the sight of all the people and also in the sight of Saul's servants.

Jonathan knew that David was the Lord's anointed to be king over Israel in place of his father, Saul. Granted, Saul was the first kind of Israel so there may not have been an established succession to the throne, but from experiences with other countries, one would think that Jonathan would assume he would be heir to the throne. Yet, knowing the Lord wished David to be the next king, he befriended him. They became two of the most well known friends in history. Jonathan not only spared David's life when Saul was hunting him, but he also helped David escape from his father. Jonathan blessed David. Jonathan never once is mentioned as being jealous of David. Jonathan never assumes his right to the throne instead of David. Jonathan obeys the will of the Lord.

Jonathan doesn't get much spotlight in the Bible hall of fame. But how humble a man must he have been? How kind and loyal a friend? How obedient to the will of the Lord?

Two of my favorite Biblical characters are Daniel and John. Daniel did not have anything negative written of him and had unwavering faith. John is the apostle whom Jesus loved. I may have to add Jonathan to this list for his humility.