Thursday, January 13, 2011

Plagues and Pestilence

Another good reminder because I have been discouraged about work.

For at this time I will send all My plagues to your very heart, and on your servants and on your people, that you may know that there is none like Me in all the earth. Now if I had stretched out My hand and struck you and your people with pestilence, then you would have been cut off from the earth. But indeed for this purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.
Exodus 9:14-16

The LORD is speaking to Moses telling him what to say to Pharaoh before the 7th plague. It always seemed a little unfair to me that "The Lord hardened Pharaoh's heart". Maybe he would have let the people go. In reality, I know that Pharaoh would not have chosen to let the people go on his own. But still, it was a wonder to my why the Lord would harden his heart... and include that in the narrative.

But then this verse. Sometimes the Lord bring difficulties in life to show His power. While it may not have been a fun time for the Egyptians, looking at what God did during that time is incredible! The plagues themselves, can you imagine? There was a movie made a few years back based on the plagues... I don't remember what it was called now... but if it was well made it should have been terrifying. Water to blood, frogs everywhere, lice/gnats, dirty flies, death of all livestock, boils, hail, locusts eating all the grains, darkness, passover. If imagined to the extreme... that is disgusting. Makes my skin crawl. I hate creepy crawlies... gross.

I also felt sorry for the Egyptians that were "innocent". They were just under the rule of Pharaoh and still all this was placed on them. But then there was this:

He who feared the word of the LORD among the servants of Pharaoh made his servants and his livestock flee to the houses. But he who did not regard the word of the LORD left his servants and his livestock in the field.
Genesis 9: 20-21

So the Egyptians noticed that maybe their Pharaoh was not making the best decisions. Also, they realized the LORD God for his might and power. They didn't just blindly follow their leader.

That last sentence reminded me of something else a little more modern. But in the interests of respecting our leaders... I will remain silent.

But anyways. Sometimes God brings about pestilence and plagues to show His power. Sometimes. I just must keep searching for the Lord in all that comes my way. No, I don't have any large instances of pestilence and plague recently... but minor discouragement. But still a good thought.

Praise the Lord. Every day. He is in control.

No comments: