Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Romance at its finest

True love. Strongest. You think Romeo and Juliet. Sure it is romance and tragedy... but Shakespeare was mainly comedy... in my opinion. It takes me awhile to read his works because I don't bother with the modern versions and take my time with them so I can thoroughly enjoy his wit. When you stop and think about it, his characters are witty themselves but also extremely dramatic. It kind of reminds me of half the Psalms where the author is pitted in the depths of despair (more on that later). Hilarious. I wish we still spoke like he. The wit seems multiplied times 100 in old English.

Next you think Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy. Mmmmm, Mr. Darcy. Yes, true love. Great in written and film adaptations. Making women woo from generation to generation. Very good. Lots of similarities to the next subject, the main subject.

Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe. I wonder if the producers meant those films to be such big hits. They were made in Canada, after all. Now, I quite enjoy Canada as a whole. I have visited there a few times (growing up in Michigan after all). It is beautiful and the accents are amusing, to me at least. But not a major motion picture by any means. But beloved. And depicting the story amazingly well. Beautiful. I have wanted to box set of the three movies for years now. I kept hoping that my mom or husband would buy them for me as I mentioned them throughout the year every year. We were at Best Buy last night and there they were! Just one set even! Amazing. I bought it. We got home at 9 pm. I had to work at 7:45 the next morning, which means I would be waking up at 6 am. The first movie is over 3 hours long. I watched it... and the special features! Totally worth it. I do love me some Gilbert Blythe. And he only gets better looking with each successive film! It's funny because when you think about it, in all three movies Gilbert is a central character but doesn't have as much screen time as other characters. Anne goes all over the "world" and Gilbert is only here and there every once in awhile. But oh man, when he's there... he's really there. I think the third movie is my favorite. Just because they are older, wiser, so totally and completely in love, and in the middle of a war. When they find each other finally... I cry every time. It is such a beautiful moment. Ultimate love story right there. I plan to watch the second movie (and possibly the third too) tonight after work. Thankfully, I have a light workload this week in my grad class.

Speaking of grad classes... I got an A in my course that just ended! Not really a surprise and I would have been extremely disappointed in myself if I did not get an A. I was actually upset that it wasn't as high as it could have been. My research paper was graded and I got marked off for some APA style points that should not have been marked off. We are transitioning from the 5th edition to the 6th edition. Sigh. Oh well, I don't care enough to fix it since I still have a high A. That makes me happy. I'm also getting an A in my current class. Woot for grad school. Be so happy when it's done!

No comments: