Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Hump Day of the blustery week

So once again, it is hump day and I am at work. I was scheduled from 9-6. We had a delay so work didn't open until 11. I just love sleeping in. So I come in and after a couple of hours my AD asks if I would mind staying until close to earn some comp time since it's bound to be busy today since it is our registration deadline week as well as our closing early and opening late for the past few days. Don't you just love when it snows in Lynchburg? It hasn't been super bad. The only problem is that it melts in the day and then freezes at night so the roads are super slick. I agreed to work late and earn 3 hours of comp time. It seemed like a wise choice since I'll only be working 1 hour more than a usual shift. And I get 3 hours to use another time of my choice.

So here I sit. On my lovely lunch hour. When I am finished I have 4 hours to go. And I will probably go straight to bed when I get home. Well, that's not true. I'll read some and get caught up in it and not fall asleep for hours. But I have been very tired lately. That's not good.

Matt and I went shooting the other day (I don't remember when it was, but it was in the past couple of weeks) and we rented two lanes and I used the Glock and he used the HK. I did a lot better than either of us expected. He wants to trade in the Glock to get a smaller one for me. That would be very nice and fun. We were planning on going shooting this weekend and renting a smaller gun for me, but it's supposed to storm again this weekend. I don't want to get stuck on 29 for hours, even if we do have a 4-wheel drive vehicle.

It amazes me how many unintelligent people there are in the world. Working in a job like mine, you come across several of the lowest on the chain. It's ridiculous. When I see some people's GPA's and when I try to help them handle their issues with starting up their course work with us, it's amazing how many people don't seem to grasp not only how education works but how life in general work. People expect us to do everything for them when we do not have the ability to do what they want. I can't go into specifics, but we can only do so much. We can't ask the government for a copy of the student's taxes for them. We can't pay their past bills for them. We can't allow them to take courses just on a promise of their word that they will pay it back someday. But this is commonly what students expect. Or if they don't turn in any assignments for three weeks, they don't understand why they are dropped from the course. It doesn't make any sense to me. And most of these people are in their 30-50's and should know better. But of course, they don't. How did they make it in life before this? I am only 22 and I feel like I'm generally responsible and fairly intelligent. It seriously amazes me how some people live and survive.

I'm currently reading through the First Volume of Sherlock Holmes. It is thoroughly enjoyable. I love Doyle's writing style. I have gone through it very quickly and look forward to the second volume soon.

I'm bored. Since I didn't expect to have a full day of work today I didn't bring a lunch (I bought one here) and didn't bring my book to read on my lunch hour. I have talked to my hubband on the phone, browsed facebook, blogged, balanced my checkbook, and I still have 20 minutes left. What to do?

sigh.

No comments: