Monday, August 25, 2008

My first official day at St. Johns went well. We had a rather long staff meeting to start off the day. The ladies of the school seem like a lot of fun... a few of them are interesting. But I have a feeling I won't have too much extra time during school hours to make nice with all the other teachers anyways. The lead teacher in my classroom, Carol, is a very nice lady and I think we'll get along just fine. We began cleaning and setting up our room. It will be so cute once everything is in it's proper place. We have the largest class of the school! It will be very busy, but hopefully enjoyable.

I also got a second part time job today. I am now the after school nanny of Peter De Luca. I pick him up from the bus stop, help him with his homework, and just wait for his parents to come home every day. It shouldn't be too bad. They seem like a nice family and the hours match my schedule well.

I began feeling a little stressed this evening. It wasn't a very good situation because Matt is at work until midnight so I'm all holed up here by myself trying to figure my life out. I'm beginning to wonder if I got the right Bachelor's degree. It's too late to change that now, but I'm considering other career possibilities. I guess we'll see if a Master's program is even an option and how long I'll have to complete it as to what the next step is. There are a handful of careers I think I'd really enjoy. It's a little up in the air right now, which is extremely stressful to me- a person who liked to plan everything well in advance! I'm trying not to worry about it though. And I have to keep telling myself that salary base shouldn't be a huge factor. I need to find something I enjoy immensely. Too bad I didn't follow my high school dream and join a competitive cheer squad. My mom and I debated it for a long time. I'd learn how to tumble and do proper stunts and then I could cheer in college and maybe even professionally. That would have been extremely fun for me. The perfect job. And we almost went through with it. But someone wanted to be more professional and wear a black suit with pumps and a brief case. I still kind of want that, only a slate gray suit to match the VW Passat of my dreams. Oh the future.

Some people go through their whole lives wondering what will happen the next second. I try to plan things out as perfectly as possible years in advance, leaving some space for change of course. But now, it feels like my whole world has been turned upside down. I haven't been this dramatic in a long time. But I think it's necessary to kick me in the pants. I had a long talk with my dad about everything and he just said to be content with the jobs I have now, be thankful for the income God has provided for me, not to worry or pay much attention to money, and to just enjoy life. I know he's right. When I told my dad how much I'd be making this year and how sad I was about it, he replied with, "You're making more than I did when I first became a doctor!" If you know my dad, you know he's a very successful surgeon. He was chief of surgery in Grand Rapids, MI for the majority of my life. I told him that times have changed and salaries have changed so in the world when he first became a doctor he probably would be making more than me in this world. But it really doesn't matter, I suppose. It's not all about money. Matthew and I are 100% debt free. We have a nice home. Two amazing cars. And all the food and clothes we need or want. We are happy. Not many can say that.

I just have to survive this year. In April I'll start scouting out summer jobs. Hopefully I'll be able to find something that will up my yearly income a little. I should determine what I made this year including what I make during holidays when I get jobs and the summer. So maybe everything included I'll be able to add on a few more 1000$. Since Matthew provides for our family I suppose it really doesn't matter. I need to count my blessings.

Amazing how a blog entry to lighten one's heart. Maybe not yours as I sulked, but it sure lightened mine.

Blessings,
Rebecca Iveson

1 comment:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Take this for what it is worth but here are a couple things I've learned over the last few years.

- Find a job you love. It makes everything in life easier.
- Plan for your future but don't forget to live in the moment.
- Let God lead your path and trust him to do it...no matter where it takes you.

You'll figure it out. Keep God first and he'll work out the details.