Saturday, July 26, 2008

Two thoughts I leave with you.

Firstly, I found this last night during my devotions. I love the little (sometimes large) nuggets of truth found in the prophets. I think they are far to often glossed over. You early hear sermons based on the minor prophets. Even in my OT survey class we ended in Jeremiah. But her is the passage that particularly caught my eye.

You looked for much, and behold, it came to little. And when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why? Declares the Lord of hosts. Because of my house that lies in ruins, while each of you busies himself with his own house. Haggai 1:9

God is speaking of his temple in Jerusalem here. Before it was rebuilt of course. How true is it though? So often we wonder why we fail. We wonder why we are inproductive or why our plans come to no end. Are we right with the Lord? Are we putting Him at the forefront of our lives? Are we seeking His aims or those of our own? For if we are not looking to Him first and obeying His commands first, He will make all our other plans go to nothing. It is all so simple and yet so difficult for us to grasp. It is not hard for me to remember the plots to the hundreds of books I've read in my lifetime, but it is so hard for me to remember which book of the Bible holds which theme. Sense?

Secondly, I share with you the following.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holt Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; He descended into hell; the third day he rose from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead; I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy Catholic Church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.
~The Apostle's Creed

Many have to memorize this when they ar young. I never had a confirmation. I was baptized by my own choice and testimony when I was 13 years old, but my class did not include this Creed, of at least not to my memory. It is very good though. I agree with all included. It's nice just to read through. It is our standard. It is what we believe.

God is good. This I know.

Blessings,
Rebecca Iveson

No comments: