Thursday, April 10, 2008

I am still making my way through the book of Ezekiel. I admit, I have been bouncing around in a few other books while I've been working my way through this prophet. The prophets are such inspirational and terrible books. I have to have a break in between readings. Some Psalms or James or even Revelation for a change of pace.

For example, I just read this and immediately signed on to post about it. This is a passage from the 32 chapter of Ezekiel. God is speaking to Ezekiel about Pharaoh of Egypt in all his glory. I literally lost my appetite for my mid afternoon snack and almost wanted to go for a run or something to try to get the images and feelings out of myself. I must really be paying attention to what I am reading today. I usually try to skim through the prophets without taking much of the history part in. I just tune in when God is speaking of his deliverance or his angels.

You are like a lion among the nations; you are like a monster in the seas thrashing about in your streams, churning the water with your feet and muddying the streams. This what the Sovereign Lord says: With a great throng of people I will cast my net over you, and they will haul you up in my net. I will throw you on the land and hurl you on the open field. I will let all the birds of the air settle on you and all the beasts of the earth gorge themselves on you. I will spread your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your remains. I will drench the land with your flowing blood all the way to the mountains, and the ravines will be filled with your flesh. When I snuff you out, I will cover the heavens and darken their stars; I will cover the sun with a cloud, and the moon will not give its light. All the shining lights in the heavens I will darken over you; I will bring darkness over your land, declares the Sovereign Lord. I will trouble the hearts of many peoples when I bring about your destruction among the nations, among lands you have not known. I will cause many peoples to be appalled at you, and their kings will shudder with horror because of you when I brandish my sword before them. On the day of your downfall each of them will tremble every moment for his life.

Pretty intense, huh? And to think I so often disgrace God. I wonder if he so eloquently speaks of me in his councils or to his prophets. I think this world could use a few more prophets like the old days. How different would life be if we had true prophets who warned of the impending destruction in such vivid terms... and then it all came to pass? For now, all we have is John's account of the revelation to look forward to.

This seriously makes me never want to anger God again. Before it was mainly hurting Him knowing that someday I'll have to stare into his eyes and see the playback of all my sins before Him. Watch the pain go through His body. Know that it was I who nailed Him to the cross. But now, I fear the anger of the Lord. I fear for America. I fear where we are heading. How different are we from Egypt? From Pharaoh? From Babylon? From Assyria? I honestly don't think we're that far off. Kind of a scary thought, huh?

On a side note: 58 days until the wedding. Just thought I'd share.

Oh, and it's CFAW. Excellent. And for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to host CFAWers for my Christian Service this semester. I don't know what I was thinking. Ah well, in a couple more days it will all be over and I'll never have to bother with CFAW ever again!


No comments: