Friday, February 01, 2008

I was convicted the other day by one of my closest friends. He was one of my first friends in life. We are old family friends and have had some very good, bad, and everything in between memories together. For the majority of our lives everyone thought we would one day marry. Our siblings often teased us about it. But no, we're just good friends and always will be.

Well, this friend has been having some troubles lately. Away from family and friends, loss of loved ones to various circumstances. Pretty much isolation in the worst ways. And of course, we're about 3000 miles apart so we much communicate through the internet. Not so fun. I've been trying to help my friend in any way I can while being so far apart. In class I began looking up some applicable verses and found some good ones. I thought I'd share them with the rest of the world. They have been beneficial to me and I hope will also help others.

This God- his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for those who take refuge in him.
2 Samuel 22:31

I will punish the world for its evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; I will put an end to the pomp of the arrogant, and lay low the pompous pride of the ruthless.
Isaiah 13:11

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Let us know; let us press on to know the Lord; his going out is sure as the dawn; he wil l come to us as the showers, as the spring rains that water the earth.
Hosea 6:3

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be trouble, neither let them be afraid.
John 14:27

For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.
1 Corinthians 14:33

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

These verses all apply to different situations, but are all so wise. We live in a fallen world. God created this world perfect and everything He created was good. But He allowed man to have freedom so that we choose to love Him. Think of when we will someday be parents. Do you want to force your children to love you? Is this truly love or are they just play acting? Would you rather them love you mechanically or really truly develop a relationship with you? This is how we are to God. We are His precious children. He wants us to choose to love Him. Though we may hurt him time and time again, He loves it when we surrender everything to Him and run back to His waiting and open arms. Sometimes He needs to punish us for our sins, but what Father doesn't? Would you spare your child discipline if he were doing something potentially harmful to himself or others? We are often so destructive in our choices. It is human nature to choose sin over goodness. God wants to protect us from ourselves and from others.

Ok, I could go on and on with this, but the main body of this post is the verses.

And my conviction: I want to know more. I want to glean more. I want to know the Scriptures cover to cover and be able to quote it in any given situation to any person. I have been lazy in my faith this past semester. It will only get easier to neglect my faith as I leave school. Less accountability, no classes to keep me constantly in the word of God, just myself. I need to grow my desire to be in God's Word each and every day as much as I can. I need to learn as much as much as I can to grow. Growth, that is what I desire.

Well, I have rambled. And I don't know if this all flows well. And it probably stops and starts again not so well... but this is my thoughts.

God is good. I love Him. But He loved me first. And that is a privilege.


No comments: