Thursday, January 17, 2008

I made you grow like a plant of the field. You grew up and developed and became the most beautiful of jewels... Later I passed by, and when I looked at you I saw that you were old enough for love, I spread the corner of my garment over you and covered your nakedness. I gave you my solemn oath and entered into a covenant with you, declares the Sovereign Lord, and you became mine.

Ezekiel 16: 7-8

God is speaking of Jerusalem, His beloved, His bride. Go to this chapter and read what happens next. It's a horrific story. Makes me want to cry and go to war all at once. It's rather unsettling though, the sins which Jerusalem commits are awfully familiar. As I read on to hear the horrors committed by this most glorious of cities I realized that America is not too far off from this monstrosity.

And you took your sons and daughters whom you bore to me and sacrificed them as food to the idols. Was your prostitution not enough? You slaughtered my children and sacrificed them to the idols. In all your detestable practices and your prostitution you did not remember the days of your youth, when you were naked and bare, kicking about in your blood.
Ezekiel 16:20-22

Sound familiar? America has been slaughtering the next generation for about three decades. In truth, we've been at it much longer than this. But it has become a staple in America. It is now normal. People don't think twice about it. It is a convenience. It is a market. It is a lifestyle. We are not only abandoning our future, we are killing God's children. His creations. And few care.

I am included in this horrible mess. I say I am pro-life. I say I do not believe in abortion. I say I will stand up for these souls who cannot speak for themselves. But what am I doing to truly aid the cause? What am I doing to put a stop to this downward spiral? I am just sitting back and praying about it and every once in awhile attending some pro-life function. Not too much on my part. It's rather pathetic really.

I want to be like the beautiful Jerusalem. God says that her beauty was complete because He made it so. I want to allow God to make me truly beautiful. Beauty Complete. I want to allow Him to spread His love over me and to make me whole and new. I want to open my life to Him completely. I have had trouble doing that in the past. It is a constant battle and will continue to be for the rest of my life. I don't like to be out of control. I like having everything lined up and to know what is coming next. But that is not how life works. And my plans certainly aren't always in conjunction with God's plan for me. It usually isn't actually.

I want to trust. I want to have faith. I want to be beautiful in Christ. That is all that truly matters. I get so aggravated when I read the prophets and of the sins Jerusalem is committing. Didn't they just commit this sin a few chapters ago? And didn't they just get out of their last captivity for these same lifestyles? And here they go again, falling into trouble. But I am just the same. I find myself sinning in the same ways over and over again. Habitual sin is a killer.

I want to grow. I want to always be open. I want to love.


No comments: