Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Humility

I was reminded today of the importance of humility. My department at work (which consists of eight people) has a weekly team meeting. We rotate devotions for these meetings. Today my coworker shared the passage Philippians 2. Philippians, one of those books I've read numerous times and always seems to have something for me to learn.

3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Philippians 2:3-4

Humility. This struck a chord with me. I know I have a pride issue. I am not proud in every area of life. But there are certainly some areas that I not only am proud of, but I am prideful. Being proud of one's accomplishments is not a sin. Thinking yourself better than others because of said accomplishments is. I struggle with thinking myself better than others in certain areas of intellect. I won't go into detail, but I have a very low tolerance for ignorance, which sometimes is not fair.

This was a good reminder today. Jesus Christ (continue reading Philippians 2) is omniscient. He came down to earth and humbled Himself to be a physical man. Pause. Take that in. But He was also omniscient, all knowing. He did not make snide comments to those with finite knowledge. He did not disregard those with incorrect information. In love, he shared with them the way, the truth, and the life. Who am I to think myself better than another wo/man?

Humbling.